Saturday 27 April 2013

24 Hour Read-a-thon

 
 
Update 4: A bit late to update but just a final check in. I managed 9 hours in total. One book read, one audiobook which is half read and another book half read. It was great to be able to give myself some time to read and relax.
End of read-a-thon meme
  1. Which hour was most daunting for you? I only read for 9 hours total, broken up over two days so things bever got too hairy
     
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? All three of my choosen books were great and would keep people gripped, I'm Not Scared, Of Love and Shadows & The Story of Lucy Gault
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? No it was great, I didn't take part in the challenges as I just wanted to concentrate on reading
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? Hourly updates
  5. How many books did you read? 1 from start to finish, plus I ended up half-way through two books (one paper one audio)
  6. What were the names of the books you read? I'm Not Scared, Of Love and Shadows & The Story of Lucy Gault
  7. Which book did you enjoy most? I'm Not Scared
  8. Which did you enjoy least? None
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? N/A
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I'm sure to participate again, if I have more time next time I'll be a cheerleader.
 
.............................................................................................................
 
Update 3: One book read! 5hours and 20 minutes reading achieved, and a swimming gala attended to top it off. I finished 'I'm Not Scared' a great Italian novel - I definitely think I'll be dreaming about be trapped and blindfolded tonight.  And it was a 1001 book so that's another one off of the mamouth list.
I hope everyone else is coping, I'm shattered. I'll probably go to bed in a few minutes and then get up in the morning to read, as I'm half way to my personal target of 10 hours. 
.................................................................................................
Update 2: Dinner eaten, a very spicy vindaloo. I had to stop reading during this as I wasn't eating alone. I'm off to my school's swimming gala, so I'll be cheering on Gordon House Team whilst wishing to be back reading my book. I'm still reading 'I'm Not Scared' and listening to 'Lucy Gault' and loving them both. Total reading time 3 hours and 28 minutes - not as long as I had hoped for. 
 
Update 1: I've been reading now for 2 hours and 9 minutes. And a busy few hours those have been. I started reading, 'I'm Not Scared' in the bath, but since then I have been listening to 'The Story of Lucy Gault' an audiobook as I got ready, sorted washing, managed a few loads of washing and prepped my Chicken Vindaloo for later this evening. I'm loving both of these reads so much. I will now continue with 'I'm Not Scared'.
I hope everyone else has picked some great reads :)
...............................................................................................................
In a change from my normal posts I'm taking this bog over today to participate in Dewey's 24hour read-a-thon. Reading had been my most favourite thing to do forever, I have books spilling from bookshelves, pilled under the bed, stacked in the wardrobe and chocking my kindle and ipod.

I took part in this read-a-thon a few times years ago when I had a book blog but haven't participated for a while. Today I will kind of take part. I know I can't achieve 24 hours or anywhere close as I have a swimming gala to attend and work I have to mark tomorrow, so I'll need sleep, so I'm setting myself a target of 10 hours reading. In the past I've always enjoyed the community aspect of this read-a-thon but also the opportunity to ignore everything else and just read (this is particularly important this year when reading time has diminished due to work, study and relationship commitments, plus my new found love of zentangle).

I'm not creating a stack of books as I did in the past but I have a few in mind. I also have Lucy Galt on my ipod, and The French Lieutanant's Woman in the car on a tape (v.old skool!), my aim is two books but we will have to see.

The read-a-thon starts at 1pm for me, just over an hour to go. Good luck everyone partaking, I can't wait :) NOTE: I may have started an hour late, as the start times say 1pm for London but others seem to have started already.

Introductory Questionnaire:
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? I'm reading from a small village by the sea in England.  The weather is cloudy after a few warm beautiful days so perfect for staying indoors.
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? I don't have a stack, just a room full of books. I'm hoping to read 'I'm Not Scared' by Niccolo Ammaniti
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Chicken Vindaloo which I'll be cooking later, with chips, rice, mint sauce and chappatis
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I was an avid reader until last year, I'm now mid masters degree, plus a full time teacher so my reading time is tiny :(  I also enjoy zentangling - If you look at my other posts you'll see examples of my work (I'm new to it, others are much more sophisticated). My favourite thing is to zentangle whilst listening to an audio book - which I'll probably do later on.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? I haven't participated in a read-a-thon for a few years, this time I'm not making a stack of book as I found it distracting if I was getting slightly bored. With the exception of my first book, 'Dusklands' which I'm reading for university, the other books will be on a whim. I'm also aiming for 10 hours as I know I won't make 24, and I need to work tomorrow afternoon. My housemate will be joining me later on.

Right I'm off for a bath and starting Dusklands -apparently it's very gory!

5 comments:

  1. Oh you chicken sounds amazing! My first Read-a-Thon was last autumn and I loved it, I can't do it this year since I have to study for an exam, but I'm cheering instead! I also thought I wouldn't make it but I think I did 21h, I have to re-check. Have fun today
    A Girl that Likes Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dinner sounds delicious! I seem to miss these on and off, plus weekends can be busy for me so if I don't put it on my calendar there always is something going on. Hope you get some read after your event tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks fpr the comments guys :)

    ReplyDelete